Our decision to make the switch from low-fat to low-carb was easy.
We had tried just about everything out there and nothing gave us what we ultimately wanted – freedom. Freedom to eat delicious food that would also provides us with what our bodies needed for our goals, our health and a sustainable life.
|We used to think that in order achieve a goal we would have to sacrifice something – which was almost always something we wanted. Maybe you or someone you know has had a similar experience. I think we’ve all been there at some point – sacrificing something in order to achieve a goal. But what we found while using The Carb Nite Solution® was that there really wasn’t a sacrifice involved. At least not for us. Yes, we limit our carbohydrate intake most days of the week. But, what we replace the carbs with is something we, and so many others love including in their everyday meals – FAT – which you can read more about here.|
So what does Ultra Low-Carb (ULC) mean?
You’ve probably heard of “low-carb”, so what’s the difference? Ultra Low-Carb means that your total “usable carb“ count does not exceed 30 grams a day, whereas most “low-carb” programs have limits as high as 50-60 grams a day.
Why so low?
Here’s an excerpt from The Carb Nite Solution® to help explain the difference:
“During an ultra low-carb diet, the body stops making some very special and bothersome enzymes. These enzymes convert carbohydrates into fat, which can then be stored as body fat. The ultra low-carb diet cuts off the one avenue available through which carbohydrates can become body fat, guaranteeing that an overdose of carbs has no possible way of heading to your stomach or thighs in the form of body fat. On the other hand, with their extra carb allowance, simple low-carb diets trigger the production of these carb-to-fat converting enzymes making it possible to store all those extra carbs you thought you were enjoying as fat.”
Benefits of Ultra Low-Carb:
The list of ULC benefits seems to grow longer every day, but some of the most important and obvious benefits are:
- The preservation of lean body mass (muscle – which gives us curves and shape in all the right places),
- ULC + high fat turns your body into a fat-burning machine.
- Unlike traditional diets which are generally stressors on the body, ULC keeps cortisol and insulin levels low making it more difficult for your body to produce new fat cells.
- Controlled ghrelin levels (the hunger hormone), which means you’ll feel fuller longer and clear of any “hangry” episodes.
Listening actively is one of the best ways to show your date that you’re interested in them and engaged in the conversation. Active listening means that you are paying close attention to what your date is saying, and you’re responding in a way that shows you’re interested and paying attention. This can help you create a more positive and meaningful connection with your date. To listen actively, you will want to: Pay attention to what your date is saying, without interrupting. Focus on what they’re saying rather than trying to come up with your response. Respond to what your date is saying in a way that lets them know you are listening and understand what they have said. There are many ways you can show your date that you’re actively listening to them. You can use nodding or other gestures, like adding “mm-hmm” or “oh, really?” to show your date that you are paying attention. You can also use follow-up questions to let your date know that you are interested in what they’re saying.
“What else can I eat if I’m not suppose to eat carbs?”
Turns out the list of yummy foods that you can eat is way longer than the list of foods that you just have to wait on. For me, I actually prefer the foods that I eat on my ULC days over the carb-rich foods I devour on my Carb Nites. Don’t get me wrong, Mary and I LOVE Carb Nite, and we thoroughly enjoy the treats we eat, but we don’t feel as good as when we’re eating ULC. When we’re ULC we feel better overall. Our minds are clear, our bodies run like well-oiled machines and we’re not slaves to food. We feed our bodies what they need and in doing so we’ve learned more about what they actually need versus what they want. Plus, we love the types of foods we can eat on our ULC days and have a blast brainstorming new ULC ideas. Bottom line: We want to eat like Queens, regardless of what our macronutrients breakdown should be for our goals and our life and we think you should too! This is why we created Transforming Recipes – The Ultra Low-Carb Edition. We eat well everyday and there’s no reason you can’t too. Sure, some might still call this a “diet”, but we simply call it “the way we eat”.
We don’t feel restricted and neither should you.
Just take a look at what a normal ULC day is for us:
- Morning: Cup of coffee with heavy cream and coconut oil (I like them blended together a little for a frothy morning treat)
- Late breakfast/lunch: Whole Eggs cooked with butter and several pieces of bacon or sausage
- Afternoon snack: Pork rinds, cheese sticks or slices, handful of nuts, salami with spicy mustard
- Dinner: Grass-fed beef with veggies cooked in butter or something like our Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf
- Late evening snack or ULC dessert: Chocolate milk made with coconut milk and unsweetened cocoa powder or something like our Butter Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
What if I eat out for most of my meals?
Sometimes we find that to be even easier than preparing meals at home. Here’s an example menu when we’re traveling or eat out with friends:
- Morning: Cup of coffee with half and half (Starbucks carries heavy cream, you just have to ask for it!) or you can always add some butter to it too!
- Late breakfast/lunch: Whole eggs any style with bacon or sausage, or a protein-packed omelette with cheese, or even a bunless with burger with cheese and the usual fixings. (I love the Colorado Omelette from IHop – it’s loaded with bacon, sausage, shredded beef, onions and peppers and topped with salsa – Just be sure to ask for REAL eggs when ordering their omelettes because they add PANCAKE BATTER to their eggs!!!!!!)
- Afternoon snack: Same as above. Even stopping into a gas station or convenient store you can always find mixed nuts, beef jerky, pork rinds and sometimes even cheese sticks to snack on.
- Dinner: Chicken or steak salad, fajitas minus the tortillas, blue cheese and bacon bunless burger, or maybe a salmon steak with seasonal veggies cooked in butter. (Texas Roadhouse’s 11oz. sirloin steak is a fave of mine. I’ll get it with green beans and ham hock.)
Being able to eat out anytime and just about anywhere, has been one of the biggest advantages of this lifestyle. We’ve learned how to navigate the various menus – something we’ll share more about soon -and can enjoy meals out with friends and family with ease.
We know starting something new is going to have its challenges, especially when it comes to changing your eating habits. We want to help make the transition as easy as possible, which is why the actual Carb Nite is so exciting! So stayed tuned for our next installment of Why we made the switch from low-fat to low-carb, where we’ll explain the importance of your Carb Nite, why it works and some of the delicious ways we enjoy ours!
There are plenty of casino online options available to players who want to test their luck without risking any money. These online casinos offer all the same games as real money sites, but they won’t cost you a cent. You can play all your favorite slots, roulette, blackjack, and other casino games without ever having to make a deposit. Some sites even offer bonuses so you can earn extra coins or other rewards. The best thing about free online casinos is that you can play at your own pace, for as long as you want. You don’t have to worry about losing your hard-earned money, so it’s a great way to practice your casino skills without any risk. Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, you can find plenty of free online casinos to enjoy. So why not give it a try and see how much fun you can have?